This recipe was sent to us by one of our customers she told us when a young girl she remembered her grandmother (Nanna) making this and it is delicious. After trying it we would have to agree.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar or honey
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven. * We used bacon grease
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and 3 tablespoons butter. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a wooden spoon spatula just until moist.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and add the batter into the hot skillet. Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
* note- We served this with our Chili Recipe and it was fantastic we also used bacon grease to grease the pan